Friday, August 25, 2017

That Buckeye Superstition



The day we've waited on since our loss to Clemson, is now only less than a week away! What a more perfect time to talk about those crazy superstitions and traditions that all of us loyal fans succumb to during sports. Also, a chance to let you in on the craziness that is, "Lindsay during football season." It all started with the perfect season that was capped off with a national championship victory against the University of Miami. That season began my bevy of superstitions that take place year after year, and is one I will never forget.


  Every single game during that season I spent at my dad's house. We both had specific Lazy Boy recliners that we sat in, and no one was allowed in our spot, much to the annoyance of my brothers. We started off our morning by eating McD's breakfast while watching ESPN Gameday, that was the last thing we would eat until after the game. Too nervous for food. I had a spot on the wall, a knotty pine wall, that I would bump with the edge of my hand, cross my fingers, and blow three kisses up to heaven, while saying "Grandma, God, and Woody." Crazy, but it worked whenever we needed some extra luck. During OT in the national championship game, my dad and I were sitting on the floor as close to the big screen as possible, hands intertwined, as nervous as ever. During the last play we jumped up, screamed with joy, and hugged each other for a long time ... a memory that will never be replaced.



  That season put in motion many traditions and superstitions that follow me today. The beginning of the first game week of the season, my ringer is changed to The Ohio State University fight song, that stays in place until the scUM game, when it's changed to "We Don't Give a Damn ... " I still refuse to eat during a game, I have just all kinds of nervous energy. Now to game day attire, my favorite part! I refuse to wear a top or hat again during the season if we do not play well that game. I like to call it "bad football karma" and I want no part of it! So if I really love a shirt or jersey, I have to consider the game and if I should really pick that for that specific game. It is very scientific ... just trust me! For this reason, I may or may not have a whole guest bedroom closet that is just filled with OSU attire. Don't judge me. I still do the finger cross and blow a kiss to heaven three times, it definitely pays off.



  I am not alone with my craziness. My girl Mel saves up her laundry for Saturdays in the fall and she expends her nervous energy by tossing in laundry if she's frustrated with our guys. She turns off the game but tweets us to see what she missed.

My girl Diana was at the Palm Beach Buckeye Alumni Club Bar in South Florida during the revenge game against Virginia Tech and had a mishap with her lucky Buckeye flip flops. Braxton decided it was "Miller Time," hit the "B button" and did the spin move no Buckeye fan will ever forget. Diana was standing up on her barstool with her feet anchored around the legs and jumped so high she blew out her lucky flips and the bar went crazy.


 My Jane, lovingly known as Momma MJ, made a BSU sign for one of our games and we loved it. She attended the MSU game later in the year and we all asked where the sign was. She forgot it, and well we all know the rest ... we lost! The four of us swore we lost because she forgot the sign, or it's new name, "the Goddamn sign."



  Superstitions and traditions are fun and a vital part of enjoying sports. As this season starts, embrace your craziness and don't think you are weird. I mean look at all I just told you. I think you're safe. Less than a week away Buckeye Nation, buckle up for a season sure to impress us and make us proud ... GO BUCKS!!!!



  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment